Wednesday 3 October 2007

Karuvadu Thokku ( Salted dried fish dry curry)

It has been a hectic week so far and I haven’t had the time to post anything or to do anything else that could be labeled as leisure. To quantify it with an example, I missed the Nigella Express program (yeah it is that busy). When life gets this mechanical, the only way I keep my sanity to bearable limits is by cooking and eating, what else. So as a me and me only dish, the karuvadu thokku came into existence. None of my troops are keen on karuvadu , but hey I am the mummy. For the last 4 years (my vegetarian years), dried fish was banned in our household. It is time for a revival, what better way than this one, my mom’s recipe. Thokku might not be the right description for this dish, but then again remember I am the Mummy. So here goes the recipe…….

  • Karuvadu (salted dried fish) – about 10 small pieces
  • Onions – 2 medium size
  • Garlic – 2 cloves
  • Tomato – 2 medium size
  • Chilli powder – 1 Tbsp
  • Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
  • Curry leaves – 1 twig

Heat a spoon of oil in a pan and add the fennel seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds change colour add the chopped onions, garlic and sauté till they turn golden brown. Then add the tomatoes and fry till they are mushy and combined well with the onions. Then add the chilli powder and fry for a few minutes. Now add the karuvadu (washed and cut into very small bite sized pieces) and fry into the masala. Add few spoons of water to prevent it from burning. I like the karuvadu to be cooked for a long time about 15 minutes. Add water from time to time the thokku is dry. Salt should be added last if required. It is a great for Sambhar and Yogurt rice. If made a bit mushy then it would go great with idlis too.

As expected none of my troops wanted to have anything to do with karuvadu. Ah well sanity preserved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I going to try this. Thanks for posting.

Ramya

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!!!! UMMMMAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
I LIKE IT VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!

siva said...

suppeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :) worked out well :)