Sunday, 25 November 2007

Meen Varuval (Spicy fried fish)

It is Fish time again. My family especially my son can’t get enough of fish. This is a pan fried recipe. The fish could also be deep fried, but pan frying saves a bit of oil and so I prefer it. The marinade is very simple and the marinating time required is also only about an hour.

  • Coriander powder – 2 Tbsp
  • Chilli powder – 1 Tbsp
  • Cumin powder – 1 Tbsp
  • Fennel powder – 1 Tbsp
  • Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
  • Salt as required
  • Lemon juice – 1 Tbsp
  • Fish steaks – 4 medium size or 2 large ones.
  • Oil

Mix all the ingredients and make a paste with some water. Rub the paste on the fish and leave it to marinate for at least an hour. Heat a pan and pour about 5 Tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot add the fish steaks and fry them 5 minutes on each side. If the steak is thick the fish may need more time to cook. The fish goes very well as a side dish with many rice dishes. I made it with King Fish steak. But any firm fish will suit the recipe.


KayKat said...

I'm relatively new to seafood and haven't quite tried out desi fish recipes as yet - this looks pretty tasty and simple. Thanks!

Nags said...

i love fried fish :) this is a great recipe!

Padmaja said...

I love fried fish and that one amazing recipe your've got!!

remya said...

i'm seafood lover...luv this fried fish ....simple n tasty...urs looks delicious...

Swaroopa said...

i was lookin for a fish fry recipe today.... glad i came across urs.. will try it for supper tonight.. thanx 4 sharing.

Devi said...

Thank you girls for all the comments. It really feels good to read your comments. I checked out all your blogs and you have great blogs, such diversity and so many recipes. Now I will have to fisd the time to try them all.

Rajarajan said...

HI, Am Rajan from New Jersey. after several days of starving I decided to cook today. Am gonna cook Meen Varuval. I found this link on the internet. Just felt like eating good home cooked food today. Will post after I eat the varuval, hope it comes out OK.