Wednesday 28 November 2007

Spicy Bolognese sauce


Italian food is one of my favorite. It is there on my top three list and I love to try different Italian recipes. This spicy Bolognese sauce of mine is influenced by Delia’s recipe which you can find here. As a South Indian I had to spice the sauce, not that I like spicing all food that I come across. But when I read a recipe, I feel it could do with some spices and this was one such. I cut down on the meat level demanded by the original and used lamb mince instead of beef mince. This went down very well with the troops. I also spotted a potential to camouflage veggies in this recipe - will have to try that next time.

This is how it can be made

  • Lamb mince – 500gms
  • Canned tomatoes – 2
  • Tomato puree – 4 Tbsp
  • Onion – 1 chopped
  • Garlic – 2 big finely chopped
  • Nutmeg – 1/2 grated
  • Coriander powder – 3 Tbsp
  • Chilli powder – 1 Tbsp
  • Cumin powder – ½ tsp
  • Olive oil – 4 Tbsp

Heat the olive oil and add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes. Add the mince to this and fry until the mince turns brown. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato puree and the spices and mix it all up. Season with salt and pepper and enough water and let it bubble. Once the gravy starts bubbling reduce the fire and let it simmer for 2 hours without the lid(this is important). The end result will be a thick brown-reddish sauce. It tastes yummy with Spaghetti. The sauce could also be frozen and goes well with rice and chapatti too.

4 comments:

Mansi said...

Italian is our favorite too! your sauce looks pretty! we generally cycle between bolognese and alfredo for our pastas!:)

Jyothi said...

Looks hot and yummy! thanks for sharing.

Jeanne said...

Hi there

I'm trying in vain to find your e-mail address as we'd like to invite you to take part in Menu for Hope, the annual event where foodbloggers raise money for a good
cause by raffling off prizes. Last year we managed to raise $66,000 and hope to increase that total again this time round. If you'd like to participate, please e-mail me asap and I'll
send you the details.

Regards,
Jeanne
www.cooksister.com

Anonymous said...

Nice one! Particularly it's made with lamb, definately we will give a try!

Once we were stuck in Delhi Airport because of connecting flight delay. We were placed in hotel Radisson and had great lamb bolognese for lunch.

Ever since my children love bolognese, but I am scared of the sauce available in the UK. As bolognese here mostly associated with beef. We are Hindus and are worried that by mistake children may eat bolognese made with beef.

We can now make it home with your help!

SpiceHolic