Friday 28 September 2007

Mushroom onion fry




This is one of my recipes that are made as a quick fix, with whatever is available in the fridge and pantry. I am prone to this style of cooking. S was amused at my style of cooking when we were newly married (not anymore, he is used to it) and told his friend that he never gets to eat the same thing twice as I come up with different dishes all the time. The real reason behind the variety is that, I would forget what I put in a dish the previous time and wouldn’t know how to reproduce it. Anything that feels good to my heart will go into it. Some mushrooms were left in the fridge and the thought of having something nice and spicy with rasam rice were reasons good enough for cooking it.

Mushrooms - 4 large field sliced (about 300 gms)
Onion - 1 sliced
Tomato puree - 1 Tbsp
Chilli powder - 1 Tbsp
Paprika - 1 Tbsp


Cumin seeds – 1 tsp


Fennel seeds – 1tsp
salt

Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin and fennel seeds and then add sliced mushrooms and onions. Fry them till they are soft. Add the tomato puree, chilli powder, paprika and salt. Cook until done. It is not necessary to add water as the liquid that comes from mushroom while cooking is sufficient. Don't wash the mushrooms, clean them with a kitchen towel. This turned out really well, well enough to blog the recipe. It tasted great with dosai the next day too.


This is the first time I am committing my ad hoc recipe to paper. Thanks to blogging.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi.I tried ur mushroom onion fry....Actually it was good by taste.but didnt look like the picture and was not dry..can u please explain in detail ,so that i can try again... thank u

Anonymous said...

Hi.I tried ur mushroom onion fry.It tasted good but looked like masalanot dry like ur picture.I wouls be more delightful if u explain in detail about the dry one in ur picture..thank u.waqiting for ur responce...\
tabu

Devi said...

Hi Tabu,
Thanks for dropping by and trying out the recipe. :)
The tomato puree that I used is the thick paste that comes in tubes and bottles. If you use fresh or canned pureed tomatoes then the dish can end up watery.
If you don't have the tomato puree you can first cook the onion-tomato mixture with the canned/fresh tomatoes without adding the mushrooms. Reduce it until there is no water left. Saute the mushrooms with some oil/butter in a separate pan and add it to the onion-tomato gravy at the end.
Hope this helps and do let me know how it turned out please.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reply .will be trying it next time for sure,bcoz i love to make different dishes.will reply u soon after trying the dish .bye