Monday 17 September 2007

Paruppu Keerai (Greens and Lentil curry)

This is a recipe I adapted from my neighbour “Aunty” in Hyderabad. Did that happen 6 years ago? Seems like last month. Those were good old days when I was learning to cook. This is a firm favorite with the family, which is a good thing as it is an easy to cook one-pot recipe. I try to make it once a week with different kinds of keerai(green). I saw some fresh methi (fenugreek) greens at the grocers last Saturday and had to buy it. So Vendhaya keerai Paruppu it is today.
  • 4 medium bunches of Vendhaya keerai (Methi leaves)
  • Paruppu (lentils) – 1.5 cups
  • Onions – 2 (preferably Indian red onions)
  • Tomato – 2
  • Garlic – 2 cloves
  • Ginger – ½ inch
  • Chilli powder – 2 tbsp
  • Corriander powder – 2 tspn
  • Turmeric powder – ½ tspn
  • Tempering
  • Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
  • Urad dal – 1 tspn
  • Cumin seeds – ½ tspn
  • Curry leaves – 1 twig

Chop the onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger. Wash the Lentils and the greens. Chop the greens (if you are lazy like me, then never mind the stalks, if you are a perfectionist then pick out the leaves). In a cooker add all the above with some water. It is important not to add salt at this stage. Put the weight on and cook until done. Open the cooker and add salt and boil the paruppu if water level requires to be reduced.

My daughter who is 3 helped me peel the eggs. This picture is posted by a proud mom.

Temper some oil with mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin and curry leaves and add it to the paruppu. I remember the dish being bright red when my neighbour prepared. My little one cries ‘karam karam’ when she sets sight on chilli powder, so to get the red colour without the chilli powder, I use paprika. It is one of the little tricks that I have up my sleeves. Hope you enjoy this simple, yet healthy and tasty recipe.

4 comments:

bhuvana said...

Nice & colourfull.U can even grind and coconut& cumin seeds.It will give u nice taste.Cumin seeds are good for digestion.

Devi said...

Thanks for the tips Bhuvana, will give it a go next time. :)

Anonymous said...

I m very inspired by the recipies you posted. I wanted to make koli kulambu for first time, for my husband and landed here. All recipies great and easy. I enjoyed being here in this blog.

sheebamartin said...

Tried this and it came out really well!!